My little Wimbledon adventure – Day V

Same procedure as every day – getting up at 5.30, heading to Wimbledon Commons, receiving a Queue card. But this time I had decided to wear shorts. The other day it was really hot and, why not, all the Brits seemed to wear summer wear all the time. Worst decision ever. It was freezing cold with a nasty wind blowing over the fields. We even bought a really bad tabloid because they offered a picnic blanket with it. Wrapped in the blanket we even read the paper. I never laughed so much in my life. But – I was still ice cold. After two hours I decided to rush back and change. There was still time, lots of time in the Queue. Best decision ever.

The day started with a long rain delay on Court 3. The players, Sabine Lisicki and Sloane Stephens had just finished their warm-up when the dreaded soft drizzle began to fall. After testing the grass, the chair umpire suspended play and the two players vanished again.  The rain wasn’t bad but it stopped and began again and again. An Asian dude who was sitting with us in the front row gave up after almost 1 1/2 hours and left his seat.

That was a little too soon (but perhaps he had Court 1 or Centre Court tickets). Shortly after there were sun rays peeping through the clouds and it was announced that play would start soon.

As I recall it was a pretty mediocre match. Lisicki won the first set, got breadsticked in the second, pulled herself together and won in three.

Next on the menu: Team Kazakhstan. I call them Crazy & Cool. I think that fits perfectly.
Galina Voskoboeva and Yaroslava Shvedova

Hi, Jarka. Jarmila Gaidosova on one court. Dustin Brown on the other.

This guy is totally fun to watch. Do it if you get the chance!

Huber/Raymond vs. Stosur/Dellacqua

While Huber/Raymond were taking on Stosur/Dellacqua there was drama on Centre Court next door. Julien Benneteau was two sets up on Roger Federer. After the Nadal shocker, nobody wanted another top player lose that early in the tournament. While following the doubles match, which was pretty good by the way, we heard the Ahhhh’s and Ohhhhh’s coming from Centre Court. You could tell, who had made the point. There was the relieved Federahhhhh. And the anxious Bennetohhhhhh. The doubles match went three and Federer vs. Benneteau went five. After the doubles match I decided to go home, but some of us rushed to the refunded ticket sale booth on Henman Hill when it was 4-1 in the decider for Federer. I don’t know if they were on their seats fast enough. Guess, the rest is history.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s